Best Travel Accessories for Men in 2018
Disclosure: Links in this post may be to our affiliates; sales through affiliate links may benefit this site. Please help support 'I Know The Barman' by using the links provided.
It won’t cost you anything extra.
Travel is a necessity for some, and a pleasure for others but what makes us all feel great, is a new travel item before taking off. A new passport wallet or carry bag can make the trip a little more enjoyable for those who travel for work purposes.
If you’re a vacationer, there’s nothing like a recent purchase to get the expedition juices flowing. More than ever you’ve got a huge range of products to choose from, but what is it that you need?
Don’t waste good money on an item that you already have unless it is required and choose quality products that will not only last for your next trip, but your trips in to the future.
So, what should you look for when making a new travel purchase? Here’s a brief travel guide to offer some quality advice.
Best Travel Accessories for Men – Buying Guide
Nobody expects their new travel equipment or accessories to have faults exposed within the first couple of years. This could happen however, if you purchase cheap products made with poor quality materials.
It probably goes without saying that well-known brands are well known for a reason, they provide great quality. But what you also may not realize is that their suppliers also maintain other lesser known brands with basically the same product. This means you may find the exact same item without the logo at a smaller company for a cheaper price. This is not always easy to find but a little due-diligence can go a long way.
When it comes to quality, durable materials are your main concern. Leather is always a favourite due to the fact it’s not only stylish, timeless and smells mighty nice, leather is also hard-wearing, strong but also flexible.
You can’t buy a leather suitcase though, so aluminium and polycarbonate are the preferred materials.
Basically, what we’re saying is choose wisely and be aware of the materials that your chosen travel item is constructed from.
Many products have a huge variety of functions, but do you really require all that they offer? There’s no need to pay extra for functions you’ll never use. That being said, there’s no harm in having those extra additions if you’re not paying any more for them.
Weigh up the cost versus predicted usage to see if it’s worth paying the extra dollars.
Often, you’ll pay an extra 20% for some great added features. This is an acceptable mark-up and I wouldn’t object against this addon if I am likely to find this useful on occassions.
When talking about compliance, we mean will the product comply with airline boarding restrictions. As this article is about travel accessories, you’ll appreciate that many of the items you purchase for travel will, at some stage, go through an airport.
It probably goes without saying that any sharp objects will be confiscated at airport security, so don’t even bother with this sort of item. If you intend purchasing a grooming kit or similar which may come with mini pair of scissors or tweezers, be aware that it’s best to pack these in a suitcase rather than taking through airport security.
So, there’s a few brief pieces of advice for grabbing your next travel accessory. Hope it’s helped.
#1 - Handmade Leather Men's Neck Tie Travel Case
? Made from Heavy-Duty Leather
? Custom Personalization
? Internal leather Straps
? One Color Only
You may be heading off overseas for a special event like a wedding or a sombre affair such as a funeral. This tie case will keep your special ties neat and flat, so they arrive non-creased at your arrival point.
The tie case itself is made from thick, heavy-duty genuine leather in a dark creamy color. It gives a soft, yet rugged look with the durable stitching and leather grains. I love its appearance.
Here’s a few other things I really like about this tie case:
- You’ll really like the personalization of the tie case with 3 customs letters of champagne embroidery floss. Your initials will be proudly displayed on the front right bottom corner for all to see.
- You’ll find a mellow plaid patterned print as the internal covering but if you’d prefer a bolder fabric, simply email them for a range of choices.
- Two leather straps are attached on the inside of the case for stability. The top strap allows for your tie to be looped over and the bottom strap helps keep you ties flat.
With so many more common products available to us, it’s nice to find a truly unique travel accessory that would be great as a Fathers Day gift or similar, as it would a self-bought item. Gift wrapping is also a nice option that is available.
This is a hand-crafted tie case accessory from a company that loves its leather and makes other hand-crafted leather travel good. Click on the ‘Check it Out’ button to find out more.
#2 - Distressed Leather Passport Wallet
? Distressed Leather
? Holds 2 Passports/6 Cards
? Custom Personal Embossed Lettering
? Single Color
You’ll notice the leather is of the distressed style which makes it more understated. I really like this distressed look when it comes to leather products. With a minimalist design it’s actually very functional and would make a perfect gift for anyone, especially a gentleman with traditional taste.
Just check out these great features that we like about this passport holder:
- It may not look like it, but this passport holder can hold 2 passports. Extremely handy if you’re a dual national.
- You’ll notice on the left side are 2 card slots which can hold up to 6 cards (3 x each slot). This is ideal should you have particular cards that are specifically used for overseas travel.
- Customized personalization is also an option with 3 options available. Either have your initials embossed on the front, or alternatively your name or an image can be embossed. It’s always nice to have a personal item to show it’s yours. Embossed will cost you an extra few dollars.
- The size of the passport holder is 5.75″ x 4.25″ (14.5 x 10.5 cm) when folded.
The passport holders are made to order and all hand-made within 1-3 days. For more specifics, click on the accompanying image.
It’s a great seller with some very complementary reviews that you can check out on their sales page. Just click the ‘Check it Out’ button.
#3 - Mens Large Hanging Toiletry Bag
? Multiple Pockets, Sleeves and Compartments
? Durable, Water and Stain-Resistant
? Nylon with Stainless Steel Hook
? Two Handles Would be Better Than One
You’ll find there’s plenty of room for all your toiletries which can all be separated via either zippered pockets, organized compartments or internal sleeves. You’ll appreciate the price of this men’s toiletry bag also, as it’s on the cheaper side.
Read on to find what other features will benefit you:
- Being able to hang your travel toiletry bag is a godsend when it comes to smaller hotel bathrooms. In fact, I’ve taken mine camping where the facilities are small in comparison to a 4-star hotel. Many toiletry bags do have a hook these days but not with as much capacity as this one.
- It’s made with strong nylon which is not only durable, but also water resistant, perfect for those camping trips. The bag is also stain resistant and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth.
- You’ll be blown away by the number of compartments this toiletry bag contains. Try this for size! Each end of the bag provides zippered sections (with easy-pull tabs), which allows for access without having to open the main compartment. Internally you’ll find 5 mesh compartments and 4 elastic sleeves for separating all your bathroom items. Plenty of room for your phone!
- The Nylon material will support the shape of the bag but can also be compressed flat if transporting unused in a suitcase.
This bag has a whopping rating of 4.9-stars from over 50 customers. That’s an extraordinary rating which goes to show how popular this travel toiletry bag really is.
For more specifications and to check out the reviews, click on the image that accompanies this review.
#4 - Tumi Alpha Bravo Andersen Leather Commuter Bag
? Slim Practical Design
? Multiple Zippered Pockets
? Holds 15″ Laptop & Tablet
? Single Color Only
For those gents that adore luxury and style then you’re going to really like this bag. Made from genuine leather, it gives a more casual business feel and offers all that you’ll require in a business carry bag.
With 2 carry handles it’s easy to transport, but we love the compartmented pockets that provide a place for your technological products and documents. Here’s what you’ll get:
- Although it’s a slim design, there’s plenty of room including a dedicated laptop compartment for a 15” laptop which can be zipped away.
- You’ll also appreciate the tablet sleeve for slipping away your iPad when not in use.
- 3 Front external zippered pockets can hold important documents or storage devices.
- Internally, apart from the laptop & tablet compartments, you find 2 business card slots, 4 open pockets (ideal for sunglasses), loops for your pens/pencils and a key leash, so your keys won’t go missing.
- It’s a great size as carry on luggage, as the dimensions are 5” x 14.5” x 11”.
- Although there is only the one color, the tan look is what makes it classy and authentic.
How often have you ventured through the airport, gazing at other travellers with their classy unique luggage, knowing you’d love a nice luxury travel bag one day? Well, here’s your opportunity to purchase that stylish design you’ve always wanted.
With a high rating of 4.8-stars, you can only be impressed with what’s been produced here. Click on the ‘Check it Out’ button to observe more specification or reviews.
#5 - Leather Daily Diary Organizer
? Perfect Size at A5
? Uniquely Handmade
? Multiple compartments
? Genuine Italian leather
? Stationary Not Included
If you appreciate great leather, then you’ll now that Italian leather is arguably the greatest. It’s a noble material that’s acknowledged as durable and hard-wearing. So, there’s no better substance to surround your new diary to protect your daily tasks than Italian leather.
lthough this cover comes in the tan color, if you contact the company via email, they may be able to offer a differing tone.
Here’s what we love about this travel diary organizer:
- It’s made for A5 paper which is ideal for storing away in a bag or satchel. I find that A4 diaries are too large and therefore, won’t fit in designated compartments. A5 is perfect.
- The complete leather organizer is handmade which includes stitching and cut-out. They do not use machines to combine this together, instead hand stitching is used so you’ll know your diary cover is unique.<